Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Where's my VzW Nexus One?

Nexus One on Verizon Wireless on April 23rd 2010? FAIL!


So the rumors about the Nexus One being available on the Verizon Wireless network today were obviously disproved. Bummer! I want one and I have been waiting and waiting. Like someone waiting on a new Apple product or something!

And you know that the Android OS and phones are soooo much cooler than the MAC OS based iPhone. The iPhone is consumer techie cool. Yeah, yeah I heard "Anybody can use one.What manual? Who needs a manual."

The Android phones(and more importantly the Nexus One) are developer techie cool and that's WAY cool. That is in part because it is based on Linux and is open source software. "Who wrote this god awful manual!" It's also cooler from a developer's perspective because of the development environment and the relative ease of distribution.

The iPhone uses an arcane computer language called Objective C and developers must work within that environment. That work would best be done on a Mac with the Apple proprietary (and expensive) development environment. After buying all the gear you then have to learn how to program in the language (of the Apple gods! But I digress :-)).

With Android your development environment is Java based and supported by the most widely used and freely available IDE, Eclipse. I have one friend that has done some game development for the Android OS and has told me that it relatively easy to develop applications for the Android OS. Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a Java developer?

Then there's distribution. I don't own an Android phone and don't know if there is anyway to get privately published applications easily loaded on an Android phone but my guess is that it is way easier than it is with an iPhone. Do you have to "jail break" an Android phone? My first guess is no, but hopefully I'll find out soon.

Anyway, these are some of the reasons I think the Google phone market is going to EXPLODE! Yeah I really mean it. This could be the biggest thing to come along in a long time (or not).

Verizon Wireless:
I want my Nexus One!

No comments:

Post a Comment